How To Setup And Use The Oregon 575214 Sure Sharp 12V Handheld Chainsaw Chain Sharpener/Grinder
- The Oregon Sure Sharp kit includes three sharpening stones.
- You want to use the largest stone that fits at the correct angle, which is parallel with the top of the tooth.
- My chain can fit the smallest stone, but it does not contact the entire tooth, so I will be using the middle stone for my chain.
- You want the stone to contact the entire tooth to avoid creating a shelf underneath the cutting edge.
- Remove the guide plate to install the grinding stone.
- Press the detent to stop the collet from turning, and tighten the collet.
- Reinstall the guide plate.
- To set the stone’s depth, loosen the guide plate adjustment screw, and fit the grinding stone in the chain tooth.
- Set your depth, and tighten the guide plate adjustment screw.
How To Use Your Oregon Sure Sharp
- Slightly twist the grinder toward the front of the bar to keep light pressure on the guard.
- Work the grinding stone back and forth across the tooth to avoid uneven wear on the stone.
- Stay within the width of the guard end to avoid hangups on the chain.
- Depending on your chain’s life, you will need to file down the depth gauges to just below the cutting edge.
- This can be done with a hand file or Dremel with a wide stone, do not use the supplied grinding stones.