How To Apply Rubber Grease To The Tube On Your Dirt Bike
In a different article, I talked about why I use rubber grease. So in this article, I’ll show you how to properly use it if you decide to try it for yourself.
You can get your Red Rubber Grease on Amazon.com.
- You Can Get All The Parts And Tools You Need At Amazon.com!
- Pictures with captions are after the steps below.
- If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask!
Start With A Clean Tube & Tire
Rubber grease is very sticky, so start by removing any potential contaminants from your wheel and work surface.
If you use any solvents to clean your rim, make double sure they are gone before you let it dry.
Wash out your tire, after it’s dry, give it a good whack, and vacuum out any leftover grit. Make sure your work surface is clean, dry, and free of contaminants.
Finally, make sure you have a clean tube. You may be tempted to skip this part, but imagine a rock in your shoe. Now imagine that rock in your shoe for a few years.
Because rubber grease is so sticky, you need to mount the tire to the rim as soon as possible to avoid contamination. So keep your tire spoons handy!
Even if you decide that rubber grease isn’t for you, installing your tube with a clean rim tube and tire is still ideal.
Tools & Supplies
Wear rubber gloves and clothes you don’t care about, and put a towel down to keep your work area clean.
Rubber Grease Application
- Place your flat tube inside the tire, and inflate it until it stays in place.
- Pull the tube out and set in on your tire.
- Make sure to replace the valve cap.
- Apply the grease you need in a thick ring on one side of the tube, then close the container. You don’t want to be handling the jar with greasy hands.
- Work the grease around the tube.
- Once you have your tube completely covered, place it inside the tire.
- Line up and Install the valve stem. Take the nut from your old tube and thread it just enough to keep the valve from slipping out of the rim.
- With the rim lock facing you, all you need to do is push down on the rim, and the tire bead will slide right over.
- When the bead reaches the rim lock, use your tire spoons to slide it over. Flip your wheel, and install the second bead normally.
If you’ve never changed a tire, make sure to watch my tire change guide for a detailed walk-through. If you want to try installing your tube using rubber grease, you can always get a great deal on eBay.Rubber grease can be messy if you’re not careful, but the benefits far outweigh the extra 20 minutes of work.Plus, it makes your tire installation way too easy.
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!