How To Remove And Install The Front Wheel On Your 97-01 Honda CR250
The Tools You Will Need
- 22 mm socket for the axle nut
- 12 mm socket for the pinch bolts and brake caliper
- Large ratchet or breaker bar
- Torque wrench
- Block of wood
- Start with your bike on a stand with the front wheel off the ground.
- I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs in a new tab for easy reference.
- If you need parts and tools, make sure to buy them here!
- Pictures with captions are after the steps below.
- If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask!
Front Wheel Removal
- Step 1: Unbolt the brake caliper from the fork and hang it out of the way. This is not a necessary step, but it will make installing your wheel much simpler.
- Step 2: Loosen and remove the axle nut.
- Step 3: Loosen the pinch bolts, but do not remove them.
- Step 4: Use your block of wood to knock the axle out of the mounts.
- Step 5: Pull the axle out.
- DO NOT USE A HAMMER TO REMOVE THE AXLE!
- Step 6: Pull up on the wheel to relieve the pressure on the axle. Finish pulling the axle out of the mounts with your pliers.
- When you pull the wheel away from the forks, make sure the hub spacers come with it.
Front Wheel Installation
- Step 7: Wipe down every part of the wheel and hub before you install them. If you have grease, apply a thin layer to every part you can.
- Step 8: Align your wheel hub with the fork and install the axle. Make sure to install the hub spacers if they were removed.
- Step 9: Install and torque the axle nut to 65 pound-feet.
- Step 10: Tighten the pinch bolts on the axle nut side first. Torque the pinch bolts to 14 pound-feet.
- Step 11: Install the brake caliper.
- Step 12: Take your bike off the stand and compress the front forks several times. This will allow the forks to align themselves to the axle.
- This is a very important step; misaligned forks will bind and potentially cause severe damage.
- Step 13: Tighten the pinch bolts on the opposite side of the axle nut. Torque the pinch bolts to 14 pound-feet.
If you want to help take fix your dirt bike to the next level, check out my Patreon page!
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!