How To Install The Cylinder On Your 97-01 Honda CR250
The Tools You Will Need
- Piston Holder
- Motion Pro Torque Wrench Adapter
- Foot-Pound Torque Wrench
- Inch-Pound Torque Wrench
- 4mm Hex Socket
- 17mm Socket
- 14mm Socket
- 12mm Socket
- 8mm Socket
- Lithium Grease
- Shop Towels
If you don’t have your Motion Pro Torque Wrench Adapter yet, you can get yours HERE.
The Parts You Will Need
- New ’97-’01 Honda CR250 Cylinder Base Gasket
- New Right Cylinder Cover Gasket
- New Alignment Dowels
- I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs in a new tab for easy reference.
- If you need parts and tools, make sure to buy them here!
- Pictures with captions are after the steps below.
- If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask!
- Double-check the cylinder bore and mating surfaces for cleanliness.
- Apply lithium grease to the exhaust valve pinion joint.
- Install NEW alignment dowels on the left side of the crankcase.
- Install your new gasket.
- Place your piston holder, and rotate the crankshaft, so the piston skirt is resting against the holder.
- Doublecheck the piston rings are seated against the locating pins and position your cylinder.
- Hold the cylinder as level as you can with the piston, and compress the top ring against the alignment pin.
- The cylinder should slide right over the ring.
- Repeat with the second ring.
- It Is Extremely Important That You Do NOT Rotate The Cylinder!
- Remove the holder, and align the exhaust valve drive shaft.
- The drive shaft opening should face the rear of your bike.
- Lower the cylinder onto the studs.
- Thread the cylinder mounting nuts finger tight.
- Tighten the exhaust linkage pinion bolt hand tight and check the operation of the exhaust valve by pulling and pushing on the governor.
- Begin torquing the nuts in the same pattern as removal.
- Turn the nuts a ¼ turn at a time, taking as many passes as you need to reach torque.
- Torque the cylinder mounting nuts to 29 ft-lbs.
- Remember, when using the torque adapter, you will NOT need to compensate for length if the adapter remains at a right angle to your torque wrench.
- Loosen the exhaust linkage pinion bolt, turn the valve all the way counter-clockwise, and check that the flap valve is open.
- Torque the pinion bolt to 48 in-lbs.
- Install the right cylinder cover with a new gasket.
- Torque the valve stopper bolt to 141 in-lbs.
- Torque the left exhaust valve cap to 115 in-lbs.
- Torque check the head studs and install the right crankcase cover.
- Cylinder Mounting Nuts 29 ft-lbs.
- Pinion Bolt 48 in-lbs.
- Valve Stopper Bolt 141 in-lbs.
- Left Exhaust Valve Cap 115 in-lbs.
Keep Your ’97-’01 CR250 Running Right!
- Service Specification
- Clutch Replacement
- Carburetor Service
- Engine Top End
- Engine Bottom End
- Front Suspension
- Rear Suspension
- Wheels & Tires
- Kickstarter Inspection
- External Shift Linkage