This is PART 1 of the full step-by-step external shift linkage inspection for your 1997-2001 Honda CR250 Dirt Bike.
When was the last time you performed a full external shift linkage inspection on your motocross or trail Honda CR250?
Your External Shift Linkage might be bad, and you don’t even know it, and that could damage other internal parts. A common Honda CR250 external shift linkage problem is having problems getting your bike into gear. There is no definite cause for this problem, so you will have to inspect every part of the linkage.
Before you begin your external shift linkage inspection you will need the following tools:
- 8mm socket
- 10mm box wrench
- 2 Pry bars
If you need tools, you can get them HERE
You will need to remove the right crankcase cover and clutch assembly to access the shift linkage. You can see how to do this in the Clutch Inspection walkthrough.
I highly recommend using OE parts. Aftermarket parts may be cheaper, but they may not be the same quality as original Honda parts.
Here are the OEM Honda part numbers:
- Shift Shaft – 24610-KZ3-890
- Spring Mount Pin – 24652-HA0-000
- Shift Shaft Spring- 24651-KZ3-860
- Shift Shaft Spring Clip – 94510-14000
- Shift Shaft Washer – 90435-HB3-000
- Drum Stopper Arm – 24430-KA3-740
- Drum Stopper Arm Bolt – 90022-MG8-000
- Drum Stopper Arm Washer – 90451-155-000
- Drum Stopper Arm Spring – 24435-KA4-770
- Guide Plate – 24328-KA5-690
- Guide Plate Bolt – 96300-06016-00
- Pawl – 24325-KA3-711
- Plunger – 24326-KBH-901
- Plunger Spring – 24329-KA3-740
- Drum Shifter – 24321-KZ3-891
- Drum Center Pin – 24315-HA0-000
- Shift Drum – 24312-KA3-741
- Shift Drum Alignment Pin – 96220-40080
You Can Get Parts And Tools Through Our Partner Links HERE!
First things first, put a box or tray under your bike o catch falling parts. Also, I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs table in a new tab for easy reference.
The external shift linkage has many tiny components, so make sure to keep everything in a Ziploc bag!
Watch the video below to get an idea of how this 1997-2001 Honda CR250 external shift linkage routine inspection will go.
Honda CR250 External Shift Linkage Removal
Click The Pictures To Start Slideshow!
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!
Keep Your ’97-’01 CR250 Running Right!
- Service Specification
- Clutch Replacement
- Carburetor Service
- Engine Top End
- Engine Bottom End
- Front Suspension
- Rear Suspension
- Wheels & Tires
- Kickstarter Inspection
- External Shift Linkage