This is PART 1 of the full step-by-step external shift linkage inspection for your 1997-2001 Honda CR250 Dirt Bike.
When was the last time you performed a full external shift linkage inspection on your motocross or trail Honda CR250?
Your External Shift Linkage might be bad, and you don’t even know it, and that could damage other internal parts. A common Honda CR250 external shift linkage problem is having problems getting your bike into gear. There is no definite cause for this problem, so you will have to inspect every part of the linkage.
The Tools You Will Need Are
- 8mm socket
- 10mm box wrench
- 2 Pry bars
- You will need to remove the right crankcase cover and clutch assembly to access the shift linkage. You can see how to do this in the Clutch Inspection Walkthrough.
- I highly recommend using OE parts. Aftermarket parts may be cheaper, but they may not be the same quality as the original Honda parts.
- I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs table in a new tab for easy reference.
- If you need parts and tools, make sure to buy them here!
- Put a box or tray under your bike to catch falling parts.
- The external shift linkage has many tiny components, so make sure to keep everything in a Ziploc bag!
- Pictures with captions are after the steps below.
- Honda OEM part numbers are listed at the bottom of the page.
- If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask!
External Shift Linkage Removal
- Step 1: Remove the shift lever.
- Step 2: Pull shift shaft from the crankcase. The washer may be stuck to the crankcase.
- Step 3: Remove the guide collar.
- Step 4: Remove the guide plate.
- Step 5: Remove the shifter drum center pin.
- Step 6: Pry back the stopper arm and remove the shifter drum.
- Step 7: Remove the stopper arm.
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!
OEM Honda Part Numbers
- Shift Shaft – 24610-KZ3-890
- Spring Mount Pin – 24652-HA0-000
- Shift Shaft Spring- 24651-KZ3-860
- Shift Shaft Spring Clip – 94510-14000
- Shift Shaft Washer – 90435-HB3-000
- Drum Stopper Arm – 24430-KA3-740
- Drum Stopper Arm Bolt – 90022-MG8-000
- Drum Stopper Arm Washer – 90451-155-000
- Drum Stopper Arm Spring – 24435-KA4-770
- Guide Plate – 24328-KA5-690
- Guide Plate Bolt – 96300-06016-00
- Pawl – 24325-KA3-711
- Plunger – 24326-KBH-901
- Plunger Spring – 24329-KA3-740
- Drum Shifter – 24321-KZ3-891
- Drum Center Pin – 24315-HA0-000
- Shift Drum – 24312-KA3-741
- Shift Drum Alignment Pin – 96220-40080
Keep Your ’97-’01 CR250 Running Right!
- Service Specification
- Clutch Replacement
- Carburetor Service
- Engine Top End
- Engine Bottom End
- Front Suspension
- Rear Suspension
- Wheels & Tires
- Kickstarter Inspection
- External Shift Linkage