This is Part 1 of the step-by-step Kickstarter maintenance for your 1997-2001 Honda CR250 Dirt Bike.
When was the last time you performed a full Kickstarter inspection of your motocross or trail Honda CR250? Your Kickstarter might be bad, and you don’t even know it, and that could damage other internal parts!
The Tools You Will Need
- 8mm Socket
- 10mm Socket
- Pry Bar
- Foot Pound Torque Wrench
I highly recommend using OE gaskets and parts. Aftermarket parts for you 1997-2001 Honda CR250 may be cheaper, but they may not be the same quality as the original Honda parts.
Common Kickstarter Problems
- If your Kickstarter does not return after the kick, the return spring is worn out or broken.
- If the Kickstarter slips on the down kick, the ratchet gear, pinion gear, or idle gear may be damaged or worn.
- The only way to prevent these problems is to inspect your Kickstarter at regular intervals.
- Put your bike on a sturdy stand and drain oil and coolant.
- I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs table in a new tab for easy reference.
- If you need parts and tools, make sure to buy them here!
- Pictures with captions are after the steps below.
- Make sure to keep track of every bolt and nut, there will be a lot!
- If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask!
Click The Pictures To Start Slideshow!
- Step 1: Remove the outer clutch cover.
- Step 2: Disconnect the coolant line.
- Step 3: Remove the water pump cover.
- Step 4: Remove the kickstart lever.
- Step 5: Remove the crankcase cover.
- Step 6: Discard old crankcase cover gasket.
- Step 7: Pull Idle gear and idle gear bushing.
- Step 8: Pull the kickstarter, making sure to keep the assembly in one piece.
OEM Honda Part Numbers
- Ratchet Spring – 28223-KA4-740
- Starter Ratchet – 28221-KZ3-A10
- Snap Ring – 94510-19000
- Inner Thrust Washer – 90554-728-940
- Kickstarter Spindle – 28251-KZ3-690
- Pinion Gear – 28211-KZ3-A10
- Outer Thrust Washer – 90554-728-940
- Return Spring – 28261-KA4-741
- Collar – 28282-KZ3-690
- Idle Gear – 28231-KS7-000
- Idle Gear Bushing – 28232-KA4-740
- Right Crank Case Cover Gasket – 11395-KZ3-880
- Water Pump Gasket Separator – 19222-KZ3-860
- Water Pump Gasket – 19229-KZ3-880
- Clutch Cover O-ring – 91211-KS7-701
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!
Keep Your ’97-’01 CR250 Running Right!
- Service Specification
- Clutch Replacement
- Carburetor Service
- Engine Top End
- Engine Bottom End
- Front Suspension
- Rear Suspension
- Wheels & Tires
- Kickstarter Inspection
- External Shift Linkage