How To Remove And Install The External Exhaust System On Your 97-01 Honda CR250
The Tools You Will Need
- Exhaust Spring Hook (Link To Amazon)
- Various Sockets
- Shop Towels
The Parts You May Need
- Expansion Chamber O-rings – 91304-KZ3-890 (Link To Amazon)
- Exhaust Port Seal Washer – 18309-KZ3-600 (Link To Amazon)
- Start with your bike on a stand, with the seat and right body plastic removed.
- I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs in a new tab for easy reference.
- If you need parts and tools, make sure to buy them on Amazon!
- Pictures with captions are after the steps below.
- If you need any help don’t hesitate to ask!
Exhaust System Removal
- Remove the bolts mounting the silencer to the subframe.
- Rotate the silencer away from the body, then pull the silencer backward.
- If the silencer is seized to the expansion chamber, this slight rotation should break it free.
- This bike is missing the rubber that seals the connection between the expansion chamber and the silencer. While this connection is not critical, I would still recommend having one.
- Remove the two springs holding the pipe to the cylinder.
- Remove the two mounting bolts, and pull the expansion chamber away from the cylinder head.
- Don’t forget to grab the seal washer.
- And Just to be safe, plug the exhaust port with a clean shop towel.
Clean & Inspect Exhaust System
- Check the o-rings on the expansion chamber, if they look worn out, make sure to replace them. These are worn out, so they will need to be replaced.
- The OEM O-Ring part number is: 91304-KZ3-890
- I am installing a new FMF Gnarly pipe, and this new pipe comes with new o-rings installed.
- Wipe down and inspect the seal washer for warping or cracks.
- The OEM washer part number is: 18309-KZ3-600
- Finally, wipe down the exhaust port, and check for any visible signs of wear.
Exhaust System Installation
- Install the washer, followed by the expansion chamber, and attach the mounting springs.
- If you are installing a new pipe, you may need to adjust the mounts.
- Install and tighten the two mounting bolts.
- Feel around the cylinder head to make sure the pipe mounted properly, and the o-rings didn’t roll out of their grooves.
- Connect the silencer to the expansion chamber with the silencer away from your bike.
- Push the silencer onto the expansion chamber as you rotate the silencer toward your bike.
- Install the two silencer mounting bolts.
Exhaust System Torque Specs
- 1998-1999 – 106 in-lb
- 2001 – 10 ft-lb
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!
Keep Your ’97-’01 CR250 Running Right!