This is Part 1 of the step-by-step kickstarter maintenance for your 1997-2001 Honda CR250 Dirt Bike.
When was the last time you performed a full kickstarter inspection on your motocross or trail Honda CR250?
Your kickstarter might be bad and you don’t even know it, and that could damage other internal parts.
Common Honda CR250 Kickstarter Problems
- If your kickstarter does not return after the kick, the return spring in worn out or broken.
- If the kickstarter slips on the down kick, the ratchet gear, pinion gear or idle gear may be damaged or worn.
The only way to prevent these problems is to inspect your kickstarter at regular intervals.
Before you begin your clutch inspection you will need the following tools:
- 8mm socket
- 10mm socket
- Pry bar
- Foot pound torque wrench
If you need tools you can get them HERE
I highly recommend using OE gaskets and parts. Aftermarket parts for you 1997-2001 Honda CR250 may be cheaper but they may not be the same quality as original Honda parts.
RockyMountainATVMC has the best prices on OE parts that I have found.
Here are the OE Honda part numbers:
- Ratchet Spring – 28223-KA4-740
- Starter Ratchet – 28221-KZ3-A10
- Snap Ring – 94510-19000
- Inner Thrust Washer – 90554-728-940
- Kickstarter Spindle – 28251-KZ3-690
- Pinion Gear – 28211-KZ3-A10
- Outer Thrust Washer – 90554-728-940
- Return Spring – 28261-KA4-741
- Collar – 28282-KZ3-690
- Idle Gear – 28231-KS7-000
- Idle Gear Bushing – 28232-KA4-740
- Right Crank Case Cover Gasket – 11395-KZ3-880
- Water Pump Gasket Separator – 19222-KZ3-860
- Water Pump Gasket – 19229-KZ3-880
- Clutch Cover O-ring – 91211-KS7-701
First things first, put your bike on a sturdy stand and drain oil and coolant. I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs table in a new tab for easy reference.
Also, make sure to keep track of every bolt and nut, there will be a lot!
Watch the video below to get an idea of how this 1997-2001 Honda CR250 kickstarter routine inspection will go.
1997-2001 Honda CR250 Kickstarter Removal
Click The Pictures To Start Slideshow!
|Step 1: Remove the outer clutch cover.|
|Step 2: Disconnect the coolant line.|
|Step 3: Remove water pump cover.|
|Step 4: Remove kickstarter lever.|
|Step 5: Remove crank case cover.|
|Step 6: Discard old crank case cover gasket.|
|Step 7: Pull Idle gear and idle gear bushing.|
|Step 8: Pull the kickstarter, making sure|
to keep the assembly in one piece.
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!
Keep Your ’99-’01 CR250 Running Right!
- Service Specification
- Clutch Replacement
- Carburetor Service
- Engine Top End
- Front Fork Maintenance
- Rear Shock Rebuild
- Wheels & Tires
- Kickstarter Inspection
- External Shift Linkage