This is PART 1 of the full step-by-step 1997-2001 Honda CR250 clutch maintenance guide.
When was the last time you performed a full clutch inspection on your motocross or trail Honda CR250?
Your Clutch might be bad, and you don’t even know it, and that could damage other internal parts. If your clutch does not fully disengage, drags or slips you may need to install a replacement clutch pack.
Clutch problems can range from using the wrong oil to a damaged clutch basket. The only way to check for problems is to thoroughly inspect the clutch on your CR250.
Before you begin your clutch inspection you will need these tools/supplies:
- Philips head screwdriver
- 8mm socket
- 10mm socket
- 17mm socket
- 22mm socket
- Pry bar
- Flywheel puller
- Foot pound torque wrench
- Inch-pound torque wrench
- Pro Honda HP trans oil or pro honda GN4 4-stroke 10w-40 SF/SG engine oil or equivalent
If you need tools, you can get them HERE
If you are replacing your clutch you will need the following parts:
- Clutch Kit with springs
- Crankcase cover gasket
- Water pump gasket
- Clutch cover O-ring
I found the best price for good quality replacement clutch on RockyMountainATVMC.com!
I highly recommend using OE parts and gaskets. Aftermarket parts may be cheaper, but they may not be the same quality as original Honda parts. (However, since the clutch is a wearable part I wanted to go with a cheaper aftermarket kit.)
Here are the OE Honda part numbers:
- Pressure Plate – 22351-KZ3-860
- Lifter Needle Bearing – 91001-147-003
- Center Nut – 90235-KA4-000
- Lock Washer – 90461-MAC-741
- Outside Thrust Washer – 90501-ML3-910
- Clutch Inner – 22120-MEN-A00
- Inside thrust washer WASHER, THRUST (23X48)
- Clutch Outer – 22100-KSK-670
- Outer Guide Needle Bearing – 91021-ML3-003
- Clutch Outer Guide – 22106-KS7-000
- Lifter Lever – 22810-KS7-000
Gaskets & O-rings:
- Right Crank Case Cover Gasket – 11395-KZ3-880
- Water Pump Gasket Separator – 19222-KZ3-860
- Water Pump Gasket – 19229-KZ3-880
- Clutch Cover O-ring – 91211-KS7-701
RockyMountainATVMC.com has the best prices on OE parts that I have found.
First things first, put your bike on a sturdy stand and drain oil and coolant. I recommend opening the Service & Torque Specs table in a new tab for easy reference.
Also, make sure to keep track of every bolt and nut, there will be a lot!
Watch the video below to get an idea of how this 1997-2001 Honda CR250 clutch routine inspection will go.
1997-2001 Honda CR250 Clutch Removal
Click Pictures To Start Slideshow!
If you have any questions or anything to add, please leave them in the comments or on our FaceBook page!
Keep Your ’97-’01 CR250 Running Right!
- Service Specification
- Clutch Replacement
- Carburetor Service
- Engine Top End
- Front Fork Maintenance
- Rear Shock Rebuild
- Wheels & Tires
- Kickstarter Inspection
- External Shift Linkage